Saturday, March 27, 2010

I hate reality! :)

This time yesterday I had just left KW. I pouted all morning! I was not ready to leave!



Monday night, walking back from dinner at HSRB through Truman Annex, I was looking up at the dark sky, stars and clouds all lit up... moon shining through the swaying palm trees, I was sad knowing I was leaving this beautiful place the next day.





What a great week we had. (We had 3 other couples with us for part of our trip) 8/15-8/21:





8/15: Left MIA around 11am in our ';Conch cruiser'; (ummm, that would be a minivan~ unfortunately convertibles barely hold 2 passengers and their luggage let alone 6 people!) We had lunch at AJ%26#39;s. I give AJ%26#39;s an %26#39;A%26#39;. Definitely a nice start to get you in the KW frame of mind.



Stopped in Islamorada for a Rumrunner at Holiday Isle%26#39;s Tiki bar. I can only imagine how crazy that place can get on a weekend.



Got to KW, checked into our individual condos at the Shipyard in Truman Annex. I give the condo complex an %26#39;A%26#39;. We loved the location. So close to the beach, 2 blocks from Duval. Condos were nice and exactly what we needed. We had dinner at Hot Tin Roof. Luckily I had emailed our reservation in the week before and specifically asked about the Hurricane special that KWT mentioned. I think it was KWT that mentioned it? Thank you to whoever did. Anyway, they had confirmed by email that we could have the special. When we got there they tried to tell us that they only run that special in July. I told them that I was advised via email that it WAS available. The manager went ahead and honored it. Some of us got whatever was on the special. Some of us didn%26#39;t. I would give HTR a %26#39;B%26#39;. I thought their food was good but not outstanding. Beautiful view and great service though.



We then went to the Bull and listened to Dawn for awhile and then to Kevin%26#39;s. We love the Bull but Kevin%26#39;s wasn%26#39;t my favorite.



8/16: Hung out by the pool. Did a little shopping. Had a drink at Fat Tuesdays. Went to HH at Alonzo%26#39;s. I personally give Alonzo%26#39;s an %26#39;A%26#39;. Some people in our group weren%26#39;t impressed but I loved the beer steamed shrimp. Not a fan of the Dark %26amp; Stormys though. My dad and his wife I think ordered one of everything! They loved Alonzo%26#39;s. THEN... one of the highlights of our trip and I think it%26#39;s PJK that I have to thank for this tip? Fury%26#39;s Commotion on the Ocean... A++++! Loved Capt Chuck (Sammy Hagar%26#39;s twin) and his crew. And absolutely loved Cory Feldon and Jeff and can%26#39;t remember the other guy%26#39;s name... but listening to them on a nice relaxing sunset cruise with a never ending refill on beer, champagne, wine and margaritas... so much fun. Everyone in our group loved this excursion. One of our favorites. We all bought Cory%26#39;s CD and my husband and I went to watch Cory at Hog%26#39;s breath on Monday too. Awesome trip. Then we went to SWB. Another highlight of our trip... hanging with Frank Everhart. He is so cool. Great guy. He took us over to Dante%26#39;s for a drink later. Then we went back to Duval. Hopped around there. Flying Monkey%26#39;s, Kevin%26#39;s and Bear bottoms... then off to bed.



8/17: One couple from our group left today. Went to the beach today. More shopping. Lunch at Lobo%26#39;s. I give them an %26#39;A%26#39;. I loved my oyster roll. Sooo good. Watched a few acts at Sunset Celebration. Dinner was at Conch Republic. I give them a %26#39;B/C%26#39;. Not horrible but nothing special. Later we went back to SWB, hung out with Frank some more. Got to see Tim do a couple of tricks. I liked the coin tricks. Even with a few drinks ';slowing'; him down, his tricks were still neat to see. We didn%26#39;t stay too late that night. Last couple of days were starting to wear on us.



8/18: One more couple left us. Today we rented bikes and rode all over. We went over to the AIDS memorial at Higg%26#39;s beach (I think it is Higgs) and found our cousin%26#39;s name. He passed away in 1992. Very sweet to see his name on the bridge, but very sad to see the condition of the memorial. I assume that%26#39;s Wilma%26#39;s doing! Wish I had some money to donate.



Anyway, lunch at BO%26#39;s. Oyster Po%26#39; boy. Fries were not a ';special';. And a limeade. I love this place~ %26#39;A+%26#39;. We grilled out at the condo for dinner. Early turn in.



8/19: Last couple to leave were my dad and his wife. My husband and I return our bikes and do some shopping. Later we went to Jack Flatt%26#39;s to watch the Cubs/Cards game but it was rain delayed/postponed. Had dinner at Red Fish Blue Fish. I give them a %26#39;A/B%26#39;. Then headed to the Green Parrot for a couple of drinks before turning in. Very laid back night at the GP. I hope to hang out more at the Green Parrot on our next trip.



8/20: Breakfast at Blue Heaven. And I fell in love. This place is so awesome. My husband had the surf %26#39;n turf eggs benedict. Holy crap was that good!!!! Rooster special for me. Very good food and I love the atmosphere. Then headed to Hogs Breath to see Cory and Jeff. I had a few too many beers here. Stumbled back to the condo to get ready for the evening. It%26#39;s our last night and we are so tired all we want to do is go for dinner and turn in. We went to HSRB for dinner. Food was not good. I rate them a %26#39;C/D%26#39;. (My dad and his wife made it there for HH once and had 3.5 dozen oysters and they said they were very good.) Then we took a nice walk back along the bight, Mallory Sq and through Truman Annex. Beautiful night.



8/21: A very sad day~ the day we leave. Started out good though~ breakfast at Blue Heaven again. Pancakes this time. Mmmmmm. Did I mention that I love this place?!?!? Back to the condo to pack.





During this trip I was supposed to have Key Lime pie everyday. That didn%26#39;t happen. I had it once! I walked over to Blue Heaven and got a piece to go for dessert one night. Yeah, that pie didn%26#39;t make it to dinner time! Soooo good! I%26#39;ve never had a Key Lime pie with merengue. It was really good. Didn%26#39;t get a chance to have Alice%26#39;s. Next time.



Oh and the Key Lime Heaven place (I think that%26#39;s what it%26#39;s called, right Tearbearchickie?) was closed. I don%26#39;t know if it was for the season or forever but I was bummed that I didn%26#39;t get the frosted Key Lime cookies. And I never made it to Kermit%26#39;s either. Oh well.



I DID try conch fritters everywhere we went. AJ%26#39;s, Alonzo%26#39;s, Conch Rep, BO%26#39;s, RFBF, HSRB, the airport.... and the winner was definitely BO%26#39;s! I kept saying... we have to hit the stand outside the Aquarium but we didn%26#39;t. Again, next time...



And what the he// spice is that that the airport lounge puts in their fritters?!?!? Whoa, maybe not so much of it next time....Their fritters were terrible. Didn%26#39;t expect much since it was the airport.





So our trip highlights were Commotion on the Ocean, SWB/Frank Everhart, AIDS memorial, breakfast at Blue Heaven and seeing the sunset from the Historical Submarine base? I think that%26#39;s what that area is behind Truman Annex (not Ft.Zach beach). Great spot for the sunset. There was hardly anyone over there.





We had a great time. It was our 2nd time to KW, my dad hadn%26#39;t been there in 10 years, and everyone else were KW virgins. But we were all bitten by that damn KW bug and want to make it an annual trip! We%26#39;ll see.... :)





Thanks to all of you for the great suggestions. One night my husband asked me where we should go for dinner. Having made all of the suggestions up to that point, I said it was his turn to choose. He said, ';your TA people have had it right so far, so what else did they suggest?'; LOL!





~*~Megan~*!



I hate reality! :)




~~ great report!!. I hate reality and it especially bites hard when



you have to return home ;( That big time bumming feeling



when you take off and can no longer see the Conch Repuplic



...yup just hate the image. Glad to see you had an enjoyable



trip. We%26#39;ll be heading to your town in a couple of weeks so



I am looking forward to that (2nd of course to KW)





~~Cheers~~





^-^



I hate reality! :)


Okay... I%26#39;m tired just from reading your trip report! In your report, you accidently pointed out what%26#39;s so GOOD and so BAD about TripAdvisor. Even within your own group, some folks loved places while others didn%26#39;t particularily care for a given restaraunt. Cool being human isn%26#39;t it? Everyone has differerent tastes and it sounds like everyone in your group found at least something to love. Chicago isn%26#39;t that far away... Come back very soon!




Megan -- great review! We pout EVERY time we leave Key West, so I feel your pain. We were in KW 8/16 - 8/19 and were at a few of the places you were, some not on the same day though. We ended up at Bear Bottom Beach Club every night as the last bar of the night on our way back to our room.





We had breakfast at Blue Heaven on Sunday and I also had the Rooster Special; Mark had Lobster Benedict. Breakfast has been good there everytime we%26#39;ve gone.





We drove down to KW in Mark%26#39;s Miata, so the only piece of luggage that fits in that trunk is very small! Needless to say we traveled very lightly this time around! And I got way too much sun on the way home.





So, when is your next trip to Key West?? ;)




Great report! Sounds like you got bitten by the bug. So are you planning the next trip yet??




Arnie~ I will hopefully start planning my next trip to KW tomorrow when I go back to ';work';. I%26#39;m a corporate travel agent, so I can justify all of my TA/trip research! ;)





Seabus~ you are right... can%26#39;t please everyone. We all have our own tastes. But even my/our dislikes aren%26#39;t really ';dislikes'; when you are overall enjoying yourself in paradise. Good views, good drinks and good company = good times! :)





Wishfull~ enjoy your Chicago trip. I feel like I%26#39;m still in KW with the humidity we have right now! Weather in Sept should be perfect though.





Thanks again for all of your suggestions!! One of the couples that joined us in KW are having a party this Saturday.... I%26#39;m sure we will all be reminiscing our amazing time in KW! And planning our next trip too. ;)





~*~Megan~*~




cruisemom~ Bear bottoms each night, huh? We%26#39;ll have to go there again on our next trip. We were there for such a short time that I didn%26#39;t really get ';to know'; the place. Next time!





I like that I keep saying ';Next time'; LOL.





Our first few days were crazy with our friends there. I%26#39;m glad our trip worked out that we stayed a couple of days longer to relax. Perfect trip.




We typically don%26#39;t hang out in Bear Bottoms all that much (other than late mornings for really good $4 Absolut Peppar Bloody Marys). We just happened to like the music that was playing (Matt Avery) when we walked by sometime after midnight each night on our way back to our B%26amp;B. For us, it%26#39;s all about the crowd, too. Some of the customers were pretty entertaining. ;)




Nice report Megan. I%26#39;m glad you stood your ground at Hot Tin.





A nicely framed KW picture of you and the other couple would make a wonderful party gift.........I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;ve thought of this already.




Wonderful report!




Megan - thanks for your review. I%26#39;m so sad right now because I wish I was still there. We were there at the same time I KNOW our paths crossed. As NY Pauly would say.... ';good times'; LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment