Saturday, April 3, 2010

Seabird Key - any info or tips?

Looking at renting for a week in July 08. Have 2 teens that love swimming and fishing. The island looks great, but not a lot of info from previous renters. No A/C has me worried ( I am an admitted wimp) - is there usually a breeze? What are the water conditions in that area (obviously weather dependant - but on a ';typical'; day) Currents, temp(July) clarity ect.... Please be candid as this is a huge trip for us and I want to be informed about the good, bad and ugly!





Any restaurants not to be missed - or to steer clear of?





Tracy



Seabird Key - any info or tips?


I am not exactly sure where it is, I think I may know, but anyway. Is there a breeze on a typical day? Sometimes, if the house is buried in the trees you won%26#39;t get as much as you would if it%26#39;s on the water. The house we lived in when i was growing up, which was the same house my Mom grew up in, didn%26#39;t have AC, and as of 1995 it still didn%26#39;t. It was hot, but we were used to it. The house was made to catch the breezes as it seems this one would be. If you%26#39;re a wimp, it may be too much for you. I%26#39;m one of those freaks that likes heat and humidity. Our summer temps are usually lower than those of GA etc. But our humidity is high.



Avg July - Aug temp is 88, but does get into the low 90%26#39;s. It%26#39;s sticky and often still. Water temp is close to the same as the air. Think it was 87 the other day and generally clear, depending on what the wind and algea%26#39;s are doing. Current? pretty much depends on the tides. It%26#39;s usually not much of a current unless you are near one of the bridges. We don%26#39;t have the rip currents like MIA gets. Seabird looks like it could be an awesome stay. I guess I can only really help you with the weather and I was long winded on that... sorry.



Seabird Key - any info or tips?


Bluewater is correct. I don%26#39;t know anything about Seabird but it does look beautiful. However the no air conditioning would deter me. We spend most of out time outdoors and on the water while in the keys. When I go inside I want a/c. July is one of the hottest months in Florida. Unless you are used to not having a/c I would not like it. If the rooms are out in the open where you get lots of breeze it might not be so bad but that island looks very dense with vegetation which equals less breeze and more bugs.



Check Key Colony beach in Marathon. Lots of duplex%26#39;s right on the water, very family friendly area. Or check vrbo.com.



If you want more of a resort type place then Cheeca Lodge or Tranquility Bay may work for you.



If you research the florida keys forums you will find lots of info on things to see %26amp; do and places to eat.




I have to agree with the above posts. I had some friends look into renting Seabird Key and the no air conditioning was the deal breaker. Instead they rented this off of Summerland Key. 4beachnuts.com/vacationrentals/Florida/lodge…




Hum, I have never heard of Seabird Key, but I would not go anywhere in Florida that did not have AC.




The island Arnie metioned is/ was recently owned by a guy in 311. it was for sale recently.



I like the name Money Key better.




isn%26#39;t Money Key the little high spot on the south side of the 7 mile bridge.





I thought there are a couple Women Key - Money Key - Molasses Key????





I watched some guys catch sharks there one day. Looked like a lot of work. FUN too.




Thanks so much for your replies!! I have lived in Orlando and Miami , so I do know HEAT - but I thought maybe I was missing something because it was on the water. I could live without the air during the day, but I would be miserable if it was hot (humid and sticky) at night. I looked at Melody/Money Key and that is just out of my price range, but it looks GREAT!! I found another rental that includes use of the little ';island'; right off Seabird Key - at least it looks like thats where it is. I just love the idea of having somewhere to ';go'; that is quiet and we can spend the whole day at.





BTW -Doing an aerial search for Seabird key - I found ';Russel Key'; - which I would swear are one in the same. I guess when you buy an island, you get to re-name it? LOL





You guys are just great! Thanks for responding so quickly. It seems early to start planning, but some places are already booking up and we are limited to vacationing in July. The research and planning will help that time go by........





Tracy


  • eye shadow
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment