Saturday, April 3, 2010

Bursting Disney's Magic Bubble

Was at Magic Kingdom all day today.





It came to about 11pm and after 12 hours of concentrated Disney and having seen the parade %26amp; the fireworks we decided to end the day with a ride on our family favourite Space Mountain.



We were right at the end of the queue just about to board.





I looked at my kids overdosed on Pixie dust, not fighting %26amp; snarling at each other like usual but gazing happily at each other like siblings in a Disney promo video.



I looked at JonniP, no longer hassled by having to carry the kids water bottles %26amp; fans around in the hot sun all day. His glazed eyes %26amp; sated expression belying his day of being nagged for iced water, another drink, Im hungry, what about some ice cream or a lolly? have I enough money to buy this? can you get me a frozen lemonade, Im too hot.



Plus all the nagging form the kids.



Yes all was well in the Parks%26#39; family. All filled with that warm glow that only Disney can give.





But then it happened. As we all gazed up at Space Mountain in all its stellar glory. Looking at the stars %26amp; the planets %26amp; the tumbling asteroids, the ride broke down; they turned on the ride lights and gone all the illusion, Just a metal ceiling %26amp; an old steel roller coaster.





I watched as the magic drained away. That twinkle in my kids%26#39; eyes disappeared, the starlight glow around them vanished. The disillusioned look on their little faces was heartbreaking.



The bickering recommenced, JonniP aged before my eyes and started complaining how I never carried the water bottles.





I have been cynical on this forum before that you need Disney magic to make your holiday special but I have seen it today before my very eyes. I am a changed woman.



Bursting Disney's Magic Bubble


Welcome to the club.



Bursting Disney's Magic Bubble


Thanks Trooper. I feel a warm glow all the time now




Nah,





Jenni. that warm glow is two holidays in 3 months lol!




Jenni -



We too experienced the %26#39;lights on%26#39; version of Space Mountain on our last trip.



The illusion was well and truly blown, so I (and my young daughter)share your disappoinment.



Of course it also served to highlight how good Disney were all those years ago in creating a great experience from such simple means.




Well excatly hydra.




Jenni,





Did you get to ride with the lights on? I did a few years back. It is a totally different ride. But I still like it in the dark, and the magic is still there! lol




Oh jenni, you poor thing, it may be a sign that your carefree Holiday is coming to a close. I%26#39;m so sorry the Magic was drained. You should have just closed your eyes and kept the illusion going.



cookieman, I also rode when the lights were on, I thought it was great fun.




only done disney once and don t think i would rush back alot of things there did %26#39;wind me up%26#39; about the place i think i am better suited to universal




Thanks for that reminder partypa





last day tomorrow. Depression is starting to set in




Tinkerbell is a man. That was the cruelest blow.

No comments:

Post a Comment